Generating electricity from the wind is feasible in almost any location in the UK, however, not everywhere is appropriate. Wind Direct operates a policy of only developing sites where negative impacts are minor.
Many different factors must be taken into account when considering a site, such as:
- proximity to residential dwellings
- impact on areas of ecological or cultural importance
- impact on landscape
- proximity to highways and utilities
- proximity to any locally designated sites
- shadow flicker
- wind speeds
- electricity requirements of business
Wind Direct have reviewed all of these factors and believe that the Kingspan site has the potential to be a suitable location for a Wind Energy Scheme. However, it is of course up to the local planning authority to decide whether this assessment is correct.
Ecological surveys assess the potential impact of development on natural heritage